Sunday 18 February 2018

Gluten-free Baking with Lentils: The Quest for a Recipe that Works

My quest to find wholesome, dairy, egg, gluten and soy-free recipes continues. This morning I once again tried to master the art of baking with soaked red lentils and, once again, I failed. 

Gluten-free baking with lentils - Savoury Lentil Muffins


As soon as I located this simple recipe for savoury red lentil muffins, I had to give it a try. Despite following all instructions, the end product simply didn't live up to my expectations.

I am not sure where I went wrong: Perhaps, I soaked the lentils for too long. (I started the soaking process late yesterday afternoon.) Perhaps I should have added the water in which the lentils were soaked to the batter. (The recipe doesn't specify whether you are to use the lentil water or fresh water.) Perhaps I should have added less or more water to the mix. (The recipe doesn't specify the actual amount of water required and only gives an approximate amount.)

Sadly, my muffins stick to their muffin cases. Once I managed to prise them out, they looked soggy at the bottom, sported a large cavity in the middle and their tops were rock hard...

One day i will master the art of baking with soaked red lentils. In the mean time, the quest for a recipe goes on.

Gluten-free baking with lentils - Savoury Lentil Muffins 

No comments:

Post a Comment