Saturday 15 November 2014

Update on that "Bag of Weed"

My so-called "sabbatical" ended unexpectedly at the onset of October. This accounts for the silence on the blog, which I'm about to interrupt with a post on blocking.

Blocking again! I don't seem to be able to get away from the topic of blocking.

Commuter Cowl blocking, draped around dressmaker's dummy


Back in August I promised a new pattern for a project named "Commuter Cowl". It's now mid-November and I still haven't gotten round to releasing the instructions. I started feeling increasingly unhappy with the colour scheme of the finished object. To be perfectly honest, I always had my reservations about the variegations of the yarn.  My doubts were reinforced when co-workers, who caught a glimpse of the "in-progress cowl", enquired whether it was a "lump of weed". Perhaps wishful thinking on their part. (Substance abuse was a common phenomenon at my last place of work and the below picture is proof.)


Breakfast, lunch and dinner in a Think Tank


Nevertheless, my enthusiasm for the project gradually waned. 


Commuter Cowl blocking. Yarn: Araucania Botany Lace

Today, I finally dedicated some time to blocking it, mainly to open up the lace. At the moment it's partially engulfing the dressmaker's dummy. I'm not sure whether this is the best blocking solution, but my love for the project is declining rapidly and I'm increasingly willing to experiment with finishing techniques. Whatever the outcome.

Commuter Cowl blocking. Yarn: Araucania Botany Lace

No comments:

Post a Comment