Sunday 6 October 2013

Noro Bias Lace Scarf in a Less Than Posh Yarn

Bias Lace 

Another project, completed entirely during the daily commute. It turned out to be an excellent commuter knit for several reasons:





  • Firstly, the pattern (Noro Bias Lace Scarf by Susan Ashcroft) is interesting (primarily due to the construction of the scarf), yet the stitch sequences are easily memorable. 
  • Secondly, as you would expect from a scarf, it was fairly portable and didn't require too much space, which is always an issue on crammed commuter trains. (Hello, Bromley Southerners! I know you are jealous of my seat and that jealousy turns to anger when you see me knit. I'm sure you feel the seat I'm occupying whilst knitting would be far more deserving of a Metro reader. Well,... tough luck!) 
  • And, thirdly, the yarn (Patons UK Vintage, a cotton / acrylic blend) didn't cause any allergic reactions in my seating companions. Mohair and alpaca have at times caused sneezes and itchiness amongst the hypoallergenic passengers in my vicinity, for which I, of course, apologise sincerely.



The Exif Data on the first in - progress picture I took of the scarf give me a date in October 2012, which in turn means I must have had the project on the needles for almost a year. It hibernated in the cupboard for several months, as I was running out of yarn during the last rows and needed to start another ball. 


I picked the scarf up again a month or so ago and finished up the knitting bits, but it took another fortnight until I started finishing and blocking. I'm rather surprised how well this turned out, as I didn't expect a great result. Patons UK Vintage has certainly proved to be a cheap and cheerful yarn option for the pattern.



A few words on the Yarn. Whilst I enjoyed knitting with the material, I, just like many others before me, came across many knots, quite often as many as two or three in one ball. This is not causing massive issues when looking at the finished object as it is a rather textured knit, nevertheless, having to deal with knots can be rather annoying. 







1 comment:

  1. Lovely scarf and great to see this pattern in a different yarn.

    ReplyDelete